Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oz

Yesterday B and I went to the New York Film Fest's 70th anniversary screening of
The Wizard of Oz
.
I jumped at the chance to see, and have my son see, the 8k hi-definition remaster (coming out on blu-ray) on the big screen in a beautiful proscenium theater on the film's 70th anniversary, and it turned out to be an even more incredible event than I imagined. The Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall was completely packed with people eager to see the film as they never had before.

Judy Garland's daughter, Lorna Luft, was there to present the film and the five remaining munchkins came out for a pre-screening storytelling session, which included memories of their time on set and impromptu performances of some of the film's most iconic songs. There was a definite sense of pride in the room, both on the part of those who were connected to the film and those of us who were getting to take part in this event.

It was really like watching a movie I've seen a thousand times for the first time. The colors were vibrant and the audio was near perfect, but it still looked like a film. The stills I'm posting are from the blu-ray, so that should give you an idea.

B was completely captivated the entire time (despite his insistence on pretending to be asleep when I tried to take pictures), which was really fun to watch. On the subway ride home and at lunch he even talked to me about the movie.
If you get the chance, I highly recommend seeing it when it does a brief run in theaters.

1 comment: