Friday, September 11, 2009

Things you never really get used to

Today a socially awkward girl who was sitting in on my class brought up the issue of my age in relation to my son's in front of everyone. I can't really fault her for it (though I don't understand this sort of rudeness) because she was rather unfortunate and clearly meant no harm. Still, it never gets any easier to laugh and say in a forced casual voice, "Yeah, I was 16." The awkward silence as everyone else in the room searches for something to change the subject is never any less embarrassing than the time before. It's like being right back in 2002, put on trial and trying to excuse myself, put on exhibition with a scarlet letter on my chest. I'm forced to remember that I'm different, that I did something wrong. It's one of those things that B and I will deal with forever, I just hope I can get to the point one day where I'm not just acting like it doesn't phase me.

2 comments:

  1. I had my son when I was 29...BUT, my mother turned 50 yesterday and I am 32, so I get the whole..."omg, your mom is like, so young" all the time. It's a good thing though. I enjoy having a young fun mom. You didn't do anything wrong.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh. people.

    I would never look at having a baby young as a mistake or something to look down upon. Bradley is amazing, SMART (like his mama,) talented and so much more! You are a wonderful mother and have done wonderful things thus far and will continue to do so. Don't let some idiot let you think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete