Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Access Class Field Trip to MoMA!

We had an incredible meeting at MoMA's Film Center today. The film library is housed right through those windows you're looking at on the other side of the garden. I want to go to work everyday and have a sculpture garden and the MoMA's giant windows as my view and hot pink cows as my wallpaper!


The two film curators walked us through the history of film at the museum and the access policies and processes. They told us the creative ways acquisitions are done (they just within the last couple days got access to a large part of Ingmar Bergman's collection and now have the largest Bergman library outside of Europe) and what a friendly policy they have when it comes to research. They were both my kind of people, scholars and lovers of film fighting for the expansion of and access to their collection. I learned so much, particularly about a project that I'm hoping I get to be a part of...

They also let us into the museum for free! I didn't want to spend too much time photographing this time (I did a lot of that the first time I came when I had a real camera and all day to spend there) so I just took a couple. This one because I had this very kind of soup for lunch right before I left for MoMA. (Totally subconsciously channeling Andy Warhol!)



This one because I loved looking at this from the room we were in at the Film Center across the garden. So romantic.



And this one because my friends are hilarious.



I took some footage of Monet's Water Lilies on my Brownie for my mom. She loves impressionist painting and I love 8mm film. Oh yeah, I have a Kodak Brownie 8mm camera. See!



Then the heavens smiled upon us and we realized that the famous Magnolia Bakery was only a couple blocks away from us at Rockefeller Center! June and I were very excited. (Look how happy June looks eating her red velvet cupcake!)



I got pumpkin because it's fall and I love anything seasonal. I also got a vanilla but decided to be a nice mom and bring it home to share with B. He thought it was the best thing he had ever eaten. No arguments here.




Also, on the way back to the subway we were talking about how excited we were to go home and watch GLEE... and in the middle of that conversation we walked right past Shuester! Before you judge me for being creepy, just think what a crazy moment that was. How could I not take a picture to remember it by? Oh Shu. Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. oh. em. gee! I LOVE Glee and would have jumped on mr. Shue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cupcakes from Magnolia! I went there when I was in NY. My mom actually found the recipe online. She makes them at home now, which is lovely, but it still can't compare to eating one on the streets of NY!! Miss you.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Shue TOTALLY came into Anthropologie like 2 days ago. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely fabulous day! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete