Thursday, October 8, 2009

I met Spike Jonze.

I'm kind of floating right now.

I went to the MoMA for a screening of Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak, a sweet little documentary that Spike and Lance Bangs made about Maurice. I cried. I felt a strangely strong connection with the things Maurice said. You know how you have that with people sometimes? He's a very honest man, and I could relate so much to the things he said.

After the documentary there was a sit down discussion between Spike, Maurice and his friend who was hosting the evening, and a hilarious short film that Spike Jonze, Catherine Keener and Lance Bangs made for Maurice's 80th birthday about a traumatic trip Maurice had to World's Fair.

Then the moment came. My big trade off for getting to have this amazing evening. A 5 minute clip from Where the Wild Things Are. This was the first I'd seen of the movie, as I've been fervently avoiding any and all contact with the trailer or any talk of it. Out of respect for my fellow purists that's all I'm going to say for now. (OMGITWASAMAZING)

Other people I met/talked to/saw at the screening: Catherine Keener, Alden Ehrenreich (!), Mike Carroll, Rick Howard, Julianne Moore, Karen O.

Picture time! (Check Spike Jonze's Lakais.)



Anyone recognize these guys?

(I was trying to be ninja taking these so they're really bad. I had to have them to show B, but I didn't want to be that guy either. So I was that ninja.)
(Oh, and they're Mike Carroll and Rick Howard. Very nice guys.)

I promise this is Catherine Keener. (These I took for Ryan Ellis because he challenged me!)


Also, for the record, I am not a bad mom. I tried to bring B, really I did. It's a long complicated story with lots of kid drama and crying, but it is also 100% NOT my fault. But I did get him something awesome which I will show you guys tomorrow.

And finally...

3 comments: