Monday, December 21, 2009

Les plages d'Agnès (2008)

I finally saw the latest by my favorite director and life hero, Agnès Varda. It was a touching self portrait of a "little old lady, pleasantly plump" walking backwards through her incredible life. Her films, being an equal part of the French New Wave as a woman in the 50s, activism, women's lib, travel, raising a daughter by herself, cultivating the house off Rue Daguerre that became the center of independent art and many films in Paris, her beautiful and inspiring marriage, the birth of her son, all the beaches that define her beautiful life. I may never live her life, the kind I dreamed of living, but I hope to be more like her. I hope to be able to communicate the way I see things better, like Agnès, to be unashamed of what I have to say and to live life with meaning. The film, like all of her films, drew me in slowly. I don't know why I always doubt her at first, probably the same reason I doubt myself, but she always proves to me that I should have more confidence. Maybe that's why I love her so much. I alternated between laughing out loud and crying like a baby through most of it, and left feeling warm and happy.
Thanks, Agnès.

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago, when it first came out I saw "One sings,the other does'nt", while the film was much mocked for it's feminist/hippy attidude and to be honest truely awlful soundtrack, I found it to be very moving. I caught a glimpse of it about 10 years ago on german TV, but as far as I know has never been released on tape/dvd, however it will apparently be included in volume 2 of the Varda box set out next year.I wonder how it will stand up now.

    ReplyDelete