Friday, January 8, 2010

Avatar in 3D

I'm not a fan of 3D at all. Not to sound like a broken record, but I definitely value great writing and creative filmmaking over visual effects, and I see 3D as nothing more than a trend that can't work in the long run. Also it hurts my head. I'm an old person. Anyway, Taso and I went to see Avatar in 3D at a true IMAX theatre (in the back row - all Taso demands) and we had a great time! From the very first shot it's clear you're seeing something that has never been done before. Would I have loved it as a movie sans 3D? No. But it was a lot of fun and prettier than I thought it would be. Taso brought up the interesting point, "I wonder if this is what it was like for the people seeing King Kong for the first time in 1933." He's smart. He's also right that it's something we've never seen before, and I would even say it's finally been done right. Still, I'm not buying my own pair of 3D glasses any time soon.

Update: Yes, I've been reading about all the 3D television and DVD deals. Bleh. Still not interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment