Friday, January 15, 2010

The White Ribbon

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this film for a second since I saw it at Film Forum last night. Set in a small German village just before WWI, it's a disturbing look at the loss of innocence and what breeds evil, corruption and terror. It's Michael Haneke (just as much a psychological puppet master as a director) at his best. To me a perfect film gives you a glimpse at something and then ends with no unnecessary loose ends, leaving you with a thousand things to think about but not needing anything more from the picture itself. This did that and I have a feeling I'll be thinking about it for awhile. Has anyone else seen it? If so, please comment. I need to discuss!


P.S. I wont make the mistake of doing a Top 10 before I've seen everything on my list again. Is it too late to revise? You tell me.

4 comments:

  1. Not to late to revise, do it, do it! I need some good recommendations, I'm SO behind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and so sad that I didn't get to see you when you're in town :(. But with any luck I'll get to crash with you for a couple days in February :). I'll keep you up to date on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im gonna find this and watch it then!

    I just watched Bleu in the Colour Trilogy by Krzysztof Kieslowski

    so interesting. very good.
    also saw On The Rooftops of Paris this week. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an amazing piece, again, from Haneke, but by my opinion not his best. I think it will be really hard to top Cache (hidden) wich he did in 2005. But it is a perfect movie about conservative small town, where secrets are just following one another. Were the kids really that innocent that we thought they were? The characters were developed to it's perfection, wich is by far Haneke's best characteristic, and also endigs of his films always give you sometin to think and talk about. He really is one of the best directors of modern time. I also had the luck that on that festival that i was, at the end of the film there was also an actor (Burghart Klausner-the Pastor) from the film. Through the coneverastion with him,we really got some new dimensions of film opened. He also told the anecodte of how Haneke treated the kids during the filming, for him, they weren't kids but actors. Which is viable from their performances.
    It is one of the best pieces of 09.

    ReplyDelete