Sunday, March 28, 2010

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman."

Virginia Woolf died today in 1941.
I will always be indebted to her for opening my mind and changing the way I see things, both as a woman and aesthetically. Her writing influenced the way I watch movies and the way my brain processes the sensory world around me.
Mrs. Dalloway has been my favorite book since I read it in 8th grade. Even though I didn't understand it then like I do now, I admired the way she used words in the same way that one admires the way Michael Chapman or Nestor Almendros uses a camera.
If you haven't read it, you really should.

"Clarissa had a theory in those days . . . that since our apparitions, the part of us which appears, are so momentary compared with the other, the unseen part of us, which spreads wide, the unseen might survive, be recovered somehow attached to this person or that, or even haunting certain places after death . . . perhaps—perhaps."
- Virginia Woolf

1 comment:

  1. love to virginia.
    like her writing, she was hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete