Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Claude Berri

I watched The Two of Us (1967) and Le Poulet (1965), a beautiful feature and Academy Award winning short by Claude Berri this weekend.

I had seen Le Poulet several times before but, oh my, how lovely The Two of Us is!
How had I not seen it?
I love its original French title even more than its English interpretation...
I've probably said this a thousand times, but I really love films that are constructed to structurally reflect the characters, subject matter or POV that narrates the story. I think every great film takes the extra care and thought to plan each camera movement and cut in a way that will deeper involve its audience. Berri does such a great job in this film of putting us on the level of his young protagonist and remaining unbiased, like a child, with the camera.

J'adore les films Fran├žais.

3 comments:

  1. when I finish this wretched final, totally watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, will definitely have to check these out! ps: your last comment made me laugh so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that Berri did the movie I'm watching right now, instead of writing my papers, Ensemble C'est Tout! Awesome coincidence!

    xoxo
    Samurai

    ReplyDelete