Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"ever since they put this thing in my mouth i forgot how to be me."

b has a massive underbite. it gives him the cutest little pout i've ever seen, but it also poses serious threats to, you know, his teeth so the time has come to do something about it. or rather, for dr. stich to do something about it.
dr. stich is the nicest orthodontist around but that didn't make the experience any more enjoyable for little b.
he had to get an expander put in that looks like brass knuckles for teeth:
it helps his upper jaw growth catch up with his lower jaw and makes him sound a little french. i keep trying to find new ways to make him say the word "jeans." the worst part is a "face mask" that he has to sleep in every night for four months to speed the process along and really pull those front teeth forward. i think it makes him look like hannibal lecter. he is more than a little unhappy with it.
i keep reminding him that it's four months of face mask torture and a year of the expander or a lifetime of bubba-like tooth problems, but that doesn't seem to be much consolation right now.

4 comments:

  1. And now I know exactly what Mela is going to be doing in about five years. Oh god. Hope it gets easier for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bless his heart.... do you remember my head gear days? yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I had the same exact thing. I had crap on my teeth from age 6 to age 12. I had the same face mask and the same retainer. Is that the one where you have to crank it tighter everyday? I still have to wear retainers to this day. I know EXACTLY what he's going though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to say that I had the exact same thing and it was pretty much the worst thing ever!!! My advice is to actually wear your retainer as I did not and my teeth returned to being slightly wonky (but no where near as bad as they were).

    In the end it was worth it. Milk it for all the frozen yogurt (or ice cream) its worth!

    ReplyDelete