Friday, June 18, 2010

show me what you're workin' with

Here it is, folks. The whole reason I'm in Hawaii:
Exciting, right?!?!?!

Well, it's my life for the next seven weeks anyway.
In those boxes are 1", 2", 3/4" U-matic, Betacam, VHS and a little 16mm.
All video (and a little film) of labor and education-based documentaries on Hawaiian history. My job is basically to inspect and catalog it and write a preservation plan and grant proposals so that the work can be done to keep it from being lost. This material is all unique and very important to Hawaiian history. I feel like I'm playing an important role in this and want to do my very best. I just found out that I'll be working from home half of the time, writing and researching. I'm kind of stoked on this because I finally found the perfect temporary home in Honolulu. It's a 1 bedroom/1 bath/2 story condo with everything I need and views of Diamond Head (which I've not seen yet but hear is mega pretty). I'm still looking for a Vespa or scooter of some kind to get me around the island, and for something to do for my birthday tomorrow.

 Other tidbits: B called me yesterday and was like "hey mom..." and launched into Paul Revere (Beastie Boys duh) and sang the entire thing word for word. In that moment I wasn't sure if I was the best or worst parent ever (I am the one who loaded his iPod), but I lol'd and texted everyone I thought would care anyway.

Also, I got an email that my Hanson package shipped today and it made me almost too happy. The thought of Hanson on vinyl makes me want to dedicate an entire post to them but I am trying to restrain myself.

On a personal note, I think I am officially a grown up. This is odd because I still have to fight back laughter in professional meetings (as evidenced yesterday) any time a sentence could possibly be construed as dirty. I still whine sometimes and have the urge to wrestle or tickle fight someone almost daily. I still love Hanson. I still somehow believe in things that my brain tells me I shouldn't believe in and there is a Care Bear staring at me right now. BUT. I have started trying to do things that I don't want to do because they are the right thing to do. I've started trying to control my emotions without hiding them and thinking more about how I can maturely make things right rather than just making myself feel better. I don't know... I sort of feel like a new person. 

This has been a random post anyway, so I leave you with a picture of my new most favorite lunch of all time. Whole wheat bread with provolone, tofurky, butter leaf lettuce, sprouts, finely chopped black olives and oregano + firm red grapes and the best pineapple in the whole world. Also a picture of me on the beach pre-epic butt sunburn. Aloha!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, Bradley and Porter would get along swimmingly. I hope you have so much fun in HI. I'm so jealous it's not even funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently had the 'grown up' conversation with my cousin. He's my age, has a great job, and is getting married next moth. He's all grown up for sure....I don't think I'm there yet.

    Also, butt sunburn? *snicker*

    ReplyDelete