Thursday, July 22, 2010

on being young and dumb

When you’re young; you don’t have to make smart decisions to make sound decisions. You’re still mapping the territory, so failure is the quickest route between idiocy and enlightenment.
I recommend reading the whole Mighty Girl post that was taken from. It's not your typical girly "20 Things I Wish I'd Known at 20" post, I promise. It's wisdom, or it's certainly something to think about.

I really think that decision making is what makes or breaks you in your 20s, and what sets the stage for the rest of your life. Personally, I would always rather try something than not. I remember one of my best friends, Justin, saying to me once (when discussing our tattoos), "I don't want to die without a few scars." I couldn't agree more. That said, I've certainly made my share of epicly bad decisions. Most of the time I feel like I'm being pulled away from a conservative, safe life by the appetite of my heart. This is heavy on my mind lately as I watch my friends and myself go through a time of big decisions and, in my case, of learning to gracefully accept decisions that aren't yours to make.

I don't ever feel like I can go to anyone for advice, so I'm happy this post found its way to me. Some of the points are things I've learned on my own in the past couple years, but some I feel like I'll never learn

I have felt a change within myself lately, an urgency to focus my attention on the life I want. When I set my mind on something I am unstoppable, and I know it's now or never. Start my career, direct a film, start dancing again, have a meaningful, healthy romantic relationship. Those are my honest goals, and while I can't make them all happen, I can put myself in the right places physically and mentally to facilitate them. If I mess up, it won't be the first time and it won't be the end of the world.

Man, I feel the fire. I feel a ferocity bubbling up from my core, an old friend I haven't seen in a long time. I guess sometimes it's good to hear that it's okay to take risks and make mistakes. As difficult as it can be, we only get one shot at being young and dumb.

3 comments:

  1. The mighty girl post is awesome. I think I'm going to print it and hang it in every room in my house. Wonderful post Brittan. I feel your fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post of yours, combined with the article might be one of my favorite posts in all of the blogosphere. i needed this, man i needed this. i'm coming back to myself, but have yet to feel that old-friend fire, and oh how i'd like to feel that friend again. i hope you don't mind if i pass this on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing. thank you for sharing. i'm printing this out and sharing it with my dear friends. i need to feel this fire soon.

    ReplyDelete