Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Saturday = surfing!

Saturday we went out to Turtle Bay on the north shore for a private surfing lesson. This probably sounds like a great idea to those of you who have not surfed, as it did to me that morning on the drive out. But after two hours of the sea having its way with me, I can safely say it's not the best plan I've ever had. 

Surfing is hard. Like... really hard.

I didn't get any pictures because I was mostly concentrating on not dying, but the memory of our douchey surfer stereotype instructor, "Scotty," will forever be burned into my memory. Along with the image of thousands of gallons of water crashing down onto my face. I actually did stand up twice (before being nearly catapulted to a watery grave) but I was so worn out by the end of the lesson that it took me twenty minutes to paddle myself back to shore. Not my finest moment.

In better news, I finally got to play with some massive sea turtles that were on the shore waiting to greet me. That almost made my defeat sting less.

Since I have nothing to show from Saturday, here are some of my underwater shots from Friday's far more successful snorkeling adventure.
I love that last picture. They put our "slippers" out in a line for us when we came back from snorkeling! The underwater camera didn't work that well, and certainly didn't capture the size and color of the creatures we saw, but I still kind of love these pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Someone just turned me on to this new little thingy where you copy and paste any of your written work and it analyzes who you write like. This post? Vladimir Nabokov.

    http://iwl.me/b/c3e0655f

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember that email i sent you in which i asked if i could move in with you and the greek? that thingy said it was written like stephen king.

    ???????

    ReplyDelete