Friday, August 13, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance Finale!!!

LAUREN WON!!!!
I'm going to try to keep this brief but I have to talk about how happy this show made me tonight! It didn't matter at all who won tonight, because this season has been about the journey and all three of these dancers are incredibly talented and lovely souls. (You can just tell sometimes, okay?) I loved all of the routines that they chose to highlight from the season, I loved that they avoided using a stage that's too big for the intimate experience of dance like they have in past seasons and I loved all of the emotion and happiness that was in that room. 

This season has been incredible to watch, not only because the dancers are so talented, but because they're so young and green. Seeing these fresh dancers learning from former contestants and incredible choreographers, while bonding with each other as a way of coping with the intensity of the experience, was really inspiring for me. I have to admit it felt strange, almost intrusive at times, watching them have these intensely personal, emotional moments on a stage, in front of a crowd, broadcast to millions. Having people see you go through all of the things you go through while mastering an art you're passionate about, especially one like dance that you express with your body, has to be disorienting. There were moments (like this Travis Wall routine that Kent and Neil performed, and this moment just at the end of the Kent/Allison routine) when everyone seemed to feel it and no one quite knew what to say.
I want to go on and on right here but for brevity's sake I'll leave it at Kent. His growth was definitely the most apparent throughout the season, especially in the last few weeks.

It was so nice to see Alex Wong on stage again and I love that he was included in the group choreography by sitting in a chair and doing arm work. It made me inappropriately sad again when they showed a video of his pre-injury work on the show. I have never in my life been invested in a television show, but this one makes me feel real emotions! I don't know what to do with myself. I guess Ellen was as moved as I was by losing him from the competition because she filled for him in a hilarious encore performance of his now famous NappyTabs hip hop routine with Twitch. Just when I think I can't love her or this show more...

So there you go. I'm happy Lauren won. She's one of the best lady dancers they've ever had. She showed the boys what's up every week. I'm happy they didn't re-do the prom routine (dance fans on the interwebs are understandably complaining about this) because I don't think they could have recreated the magic that happened the first time. I'm just happy in general. This show makes me feel like I'm getting hugged by Mia Michels and told it's never too late to start dancing again.

(p.s. none of these images are mine. i stole them all from the google.)

1 comment:

  1. I miss dancing so much! Sometimes I find it hard to watch that show simply because it hurts my heart.....dancing was always such a huge part of my life, I don't know why I stopped!

    ReplyDelete