Saturday, August 14, 2010

where we're going we don't need roads

i've become obsessed with marnie stern. she's been on rotation in my itunes for a long time but i guess i just didn't listen closely enough. the other night i wanted to put on something different during my little at-home ballet warm up, and the thought just popped into my head to put marnie stern on. she is the exact opposite of what you would consider appropriate but i dance alone in my living room and can do whatever i want, right? the result: transcendental. seriously. i stretched and warmed up for a minute while she screamed and all the sudden it was like the power of christ compelled me! my dancing turned into this primal mix of jazz and pirouettes and emotion -- it was probably completely hideous but it felt so good! it took me far away from my life and made me connect with the part of me that has always been there and always will be, regardless of time and space. everyone should lose themselves like that to music at least once a day.

(art by joe kitsch)

No comments:

Post a Comment