Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is...

Brittan.


I'm 25 and have a beautiful 8-year-old son who, for the purposes of this blog, I call B. I live in New York City and am getting my Masters in Moving Image Archiving and Preservation at NYU. Any time I say MIAP, that's what I'm talking about. It's exactly what it sounds like, the preservation of moving images -- film, video, digital. We save old movies. B lived here in New York with me during my first year of the program, but he's back in Texas with my family for this last year. He is very smart and creative, and had a rough time in NYC public schools... to say the least. He'll get his own post later, but for now I'll tell you a little more about myself in hopes that my blog will make more sense and we'll get to know each other better.

I love movies. I guess growing up my aesthetic was shaped by Hollywood musicals, Baz Luhrmann, 80s teen dramas and the French New Wave, which I discovered in high school and was forever changed by. I love Agnes Varda most and if I could make my own movies I would want them to look like a combination of hers and Baz Luhrmann's... which is probably why I am not a filmmaker. Nevertheless, I have managed to find my way onto a few film sets and frequently write screenplays in hopes that one day I will actually get to see one on screen. I also worked for film festivals in my former (pre-grad school) life, which usually entailed handling celebrities and had a lot to do with my move into a quieter side of the industry.

Music is also a huge part of who I am, though I claim no knowledge or talent in that realm. I'll get this out of the way first... I have loved Hanson deeply and with the same intensity for 13 years. They make me infinitely happy and I'm not bothered by people who laugh at me for that. Hanson aside, I love The Pixies, The Magnetic Fields, Sonic Youth and Queen and I love good hip hop. In fourth grade my favorite music was Nirvana and Notorious BIG (the product of the neighborhoods I grew up in and being alone most of the time, I guess) and you can see that reflected in most of the music I've leaned toward since then. My loves extend in various other directions to Michael Jackson, Edith Piaf, Daft Punk, Buddy Holly and Otis Redding, but I should probably stop there...

I'm vegetarian, which I talk about at length here

For 12 years dance was all that mattered in my life. When I got pregnant I threw away all of my dance shoes, clothes, music--everything that reminded me of the life I thought I'd ruined forever. ...It was a bit melodramatic. I still think of myself as a dancer and one day I will finally march myself back into a class and my body will love me again.

I am a nerd. I have the symbols from the edge of Kodak safety film tattooed on my arm (which is more nerdy than I'm even ready to explain) and will most definitely dress up for the premiere of the next Harry Potter movie. I enjoy comic books, sci-fi, classic literature and strange humor. Sometimes my posts reflect that, though I try to control myself. I guess when you're a parent you're not supposed to do some of those things (or let yourself get drenched with fake blood at a GWAR show), but I think my son appreciates that I'll play a video game all the way through with him and support his desire to make his own Star Wars movie.

My favorite color is red and I could eat olives all day every day. I'm not a drinker or a smoker and I try to be healthy. I can (and will) karaoke with the best of them and if your get-together is bombing, call me and I'll magically turn it into a dance party. I'm kind of bad at school, but I've got gumption and big dreams. I know lots of people say this, but I actually have the greatest friends in the world. They deserve their own posts and will get them. I'm liberal, a feminist, support gay marriage and wish people could work a little harder at being loving and generous and fair. I'm stronger than I look and know myself very well. Most importantly, I'm the product of more luck, good fortune, blessings, support and love than I probably deserve.

I started this blog because I've kept journals since I was 10 and this was the progression of that, but it's become so much more over the last two years. As I've learned more about preservation, I've become more interested in preserving my own record. That's what this is and that's why I try to be diligent about keeping up with it. This is where I document my photos, videos, stories, successes, failures, dreams, etc. If I can keep this alive, maybe in 100 years there will be one more story, one more perspective, to add to the collective.

7 comments:

  1. oh Brittan! i love this post so much! You are an amazing lady and a wonderful mom. I'm so glad I got to know you through your blog. This makes me feel like I know you so much better. And we have a lot of stuff in common :) Rock on sista. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is suck a great post!! I love how you were able to open up and share so much :) I just found your blog and I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and miss you, Brittan. And you just listed all the reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Britt. I miss you terribly. You are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this a while ago when you posted it but I just never commented. but I really find you inspiring and amazing and seriously so cool.

    Maybe we might meet when I spend not this Christmas - but the next over in NY. ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "..one more perspective to add to the collective." I liked that. :)

    ReplyDelete