Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Announcement! *Finally* talking about my thesis!

 My Masters Thesis is a plan to restore the Fine Arts Theater in Denton, Texas and run it as an archival-film-safe repertory and art house cinema. 

There you have it. The theater is pictured above as "The Texas," which it was called from the late 1930s through the mid 1950s before it became the Fine Arts. It has a long and interesting history, but now sits mostly vacant (a church rents it on Sundays for service) on the super cool, otherwise lively town square. I love this theater and am passionate about bringing archival films to theaters all over the country (not just NY/LA). My thesis will cover the history of theater and projection techniques, a business and programming plan for the restoration and operation of the theater and an argument for certain projection techniques that are safer for the films and present a higher quality, more authentic viewing experience that a typical cineplex offers. So far it's going great, the only exception being that I was told I have to spell theater with an -er rather than -re, like I have my whole life. This is bothering me immensely but I'm practicing. I'll post pictures and stories as I work on it and you'll all be very tired of it by the time it's due in March. Of course I plan to see this through to the actual restoration of the building and opening of the theater, but my thesis will just be a history, business plan and proposal.

On a related note, I love New York so much. I could stay here forever and be happy, but I've felt more and more a responsibility to take all that I can from New York and bring it back to my hometown. I don't know what will come of this but I'm excited.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE old buildings and Wow this sounds like a really amazing project. I am looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

    PS The Texas was a much cooler name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only quote Never Been Kissed:

    "Standard British calls for "re." So unless you´re a pompous American,
    I would go with "er.""

    Just kidding, however you spell it, I love you and am so proud of you and can't wait to watch you make this a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an awesome thesis lady, good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally freakin awesome.

    Do you know how much I would be behind you in bringing this to Australia as well? hello.
    Melbourne does pretty good because its quite an artistic city but still...

    Can't wait to hear how this develops. great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! (I know you posted this like a month ago, but I just now saw it). I walked past that building many a times in college wishing it was more than what it was.

    Oh, and in High School I was taught that the craft of acting is the Theatre Arts, but a theatrical building is a Theater.

    ReplyDelete