Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Bomb the Music Industreezer!

Sneve ^ got me in to the sold out show. Bomb the Music Industry playing Weezer's Blue Album and Pinkerton in full.
 I was expecting a sloppy punk band doing so-so but fun covers. 
Sounds kind of awesome already, right?
It turned out to be near perfect, technically. They're a punk band so of course they played fast and crazy but I couldn't believe what a good job they did getting the songs right, down to every guitar solo and falsetto. Not to mention it was more fun than a real Weezer show has been since the mid-90s... actually, probably ever.
 
These kids were going crazy, screaming the words, moshing, crowd surfing. It made me feel a little old. I saw Weezer for the first time in 1998 and spent years (well into my 20s) coming home from shows with bruises, missing shoes, ripped t-shirts and even a broken rib once. It felt a little satisfying to stand back this time with the mid-20s to 30s crowd and sing along, watching a bunch of kids with X's on their hands go nuts over two albums that probably had a huge impact on all of our teenage years. I personally love The Blue Album. (Sneve and I agreed that most people lean one way or the other.) I think "Buddy Holly" is one of the best love songs of all time and every song on that album traces back to a memory of growing up. This is the way I always wanted to see it performed but never thought I would because, let's be honest, Weezer is pretty boring these days.


What's your favorite Weezer song/album?

3 comments:

  1. you make me SMILE! Andrew and I went to The Movie Trading Co. just a few days ago so he could buy the Blue CD. We rocked out as HE (yes, Andrew) drove us home. Good times. Good times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. p to the s... i want so badly to come visit you in NY... if i could afford it, i would be there riiiiiiiiiiiight MEOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. my friend used to be in Bomb the Music Industry! Small world!

    ReplyDelete