Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving was spent on a miserable 14 hour bus ride (that should have only been 9 hours) back to New York from Toronto with no one to talk to and no meals. So the next day I went to Whole Foods to quell my craving for turkey day foods. Vegetarian stuffing, roasted cauliflower, tofurky, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, a pumpkin parfait and cranberry soda. Close enough. I was also asked out on a date and told I was "cute" while stuffing my face with mashed potatoes in the Whole Foods cafe so... that's new. 

After my little solo dinner of thanks I met up with a friend and had a perfect New York night: bought a scarf at the Union Square holiday market, saw The Social Network (excellent writing and Rooney Mara's character was the best, saved it from being totally misogynistic), went to a bro bar ironically which kind of makes me hate myself but it was so fun, ended the night at a diner to split a piece of pie and cup of joe.

This holiday was a bit unconventional, as is my life in general right now. I'm thankful for that. I had a little "what I'm thankful for" time in my head while eating that lovely meal and just kept thinking how much I appreciate these experiences that will let me look back on my life and remember how full it was. I'm thankful for the moments and relationships and little things like good food and dancing that creep up on you at the least likely times and remind you how good life is. You know that feeling when you want to feel sorry for yourself and dwell in your bad mood but something happens and suddenly you can't force the smile off of your face no matter how hard you try? That's what I'm thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment