Saturday, December 18, 2010

Scary Potter


Obviously B is a huge HP fan. He's on his second round through the books, we went here this summer, the Halloween shenanigans, etc. I'm slightly afraid that he means it when he says can't wait till he's 11 and his letter comes. 

But he's also going through a massive sissy phase, let's be honest. Things he didn't even used to think about are now terrifying. I think this is somewhat normal, at least for slightly neurotic kiddos like us (I definitely went through that phase). So, the question has been: can he handle the 7th Harry Potter movie? It's way scarier than the others and having read the books just intensifies that because you know just how heavy and terrible what you're watching really is (because JK Rowling is a genius).

We decided to try it, agreeing ahead of time that I would cover his eyes during three very specific parts. (Voldemort killing Prof Burbage, Bathilda Bagshot, Harry/Hermione fake sexy times *shudder*) I insisted he see it in true IMAX (there is only one legit IMAX theater in Dallas), so he was even more nervous that the sound and huge picture would basically cast the dark mark on his head and death curse him into an early grave. 

Well, he made it through the movie and even declared that it was "more awesome than scary" when it was all said and done. He did cry quietly when Hermione had to wipe herself from her parents memories (he hugged me and was shaking and sniffling - I love him for being a bigger sissy than me) and said something that made me question if he is actually my child: When Harry, Ron and Hermione woke up the morning after spending the night at the Black's house (it's a really beautiful wide shot from above of a parlor with natural light coming through the windows) he leaned over and whispered,"That's beautiful. I just love early mornings, especially on Saturdays when I have nothing to do. They're so awesome and beautiful." Yes, this is my child who sets his alarm for 6:03am, despite the fact that he doesn't have to be at school till 8:15 and it takes him 10 minutes to get ready, just because he likes to "enjoy the morning." Maybe he was living vicariously through them because they don't have to drag their parents out of bed to get to school.

So, yes, it was a success. All of it except getting a picture of us in our Harry Potter shirts. He would not hold still long enough for that to happen. His is pretty rad though, isn't it? 

2 comments:

  1. You and B are ridiculously adorable! Hope you're having a good break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get to hug both of you in just a few days. OMG. I CAN'T WAIT.

    ReplyDelete