Friday, December 31, 2010

Singing the triumph song on my way out of 2010!

(Bonnie took this picture! www.sadiedaysphotography.com)

The year did not start off so well. In January B left New York and I was breaking up with the same person for the billionth time. I was a sad girl, but at least I was watching lots of movies.

In February I threw a really fun birthday party for Swinny at my little Chelsea pad. I spent the snowpocalypse curled up watching the Olympics and started my internship at MoMA.

By March I had completely lost it. The worst semester of school ever was crushing me, I was heartbroken and lonely. It was bad times for Miss Brittan. Thankfully I didn't have much time to think about it because I was traveling to the Library of Congress, bridesmaiding it up in Missy's wedding and spending B's birthday with our friends in Utah.

In April I finally opened up about what was wrong. That allowed me to move on and have one of fullest months ever. I felt empowered as a woman, had a nerdy blast at Orphans, and had one of the greatest experiences of my life: the TCM Classic Film Festival.

May brought me five nights of Hanson and the blessing of meeting Charlotte and Laura. I went home and repaired my brain and heart that had been so damaged over the last semester. I didn't know it then but this was a huge turning point in my life. At the end of the month I celebrated my 25th birthday early by finally going to prom.

In June I introduced you to my hero. B and I left the muggle world for a few days before I left the mainland for my summer internship in Hawaii. I also hit the quarter century mark.

He came back into my life for a bit in July. We snorkeled and surfed and ate burgers and then it was over again but I was better equipped to handle it. I saw some great movies, obsessed over the best So You Think You Can Dance season ever and went on lots of random dates in Hawaii.

August was the most zen, reinvigorating, much needed month of my year. I left Hawaii and did almost nothing else. Then B and I both started school again and it was back to the grind.

I started out September (my two year blogoversary) in a little midtown apartment with him after reconnecting at a hip hop show in NYC of all places. It didn't work but, again, I was better equipped now. I went home to get my jaw fixed and came back ready to find myself again.

In October I moved out and in with my loves in Brooklyn, met one of the most inspiring people I've ever come in contact with, told you about my thesis and went to a weird, amazing hybrid punk Weezer cover show. I also got to burn some nitrate at Home Movie Day and be Ramona Flowers.

November took me back on the road for AMIA in Philly and Hanson in Toronto, where I spent time with my darling Charlotte and Laura and fell in love with the city. The conclusion of Harry Potter began! I had Thanksgiving by myself and found out my grandma has cancer.

I am ending December on a high. I finished all of my papers on time, despite being hit with the severity of my grandma's illness. I had an amazing week with my family in Kentucky and another with my family in Colorado and was restored by my best friend.

I began 2010 with this post and over the last six months I think life and I have become friends. I feel that all of the passion and energy that makes me love it at times and hate it at others has been cooled into a more level-headed approach to weathering its whims. I know that transaction she talks about. I looked life in the eyes in May and promised it I would try to be a grownup if it would show me a light at the end of the tunnel. It did. It showed me my individual potential. I can have an amazing career. I can handle all of the craziness that comes with that beautiful, complicated child of mine. I can absorb all of the love that the wonderful people in my life send my way and release it back in more profound ways. I can refuse to settle but still find that contentedness in where I am that my grandma always told me I should find.

That is, hands down, my biggest accomplishment this year. I have begun to learn to be content.

4 comments:

  1. Learning to be content can be hard, but I'm so glad you've started to try! Don't ever settle because you're awesome, and I hope you have a 2011 that is just as good as you deserve it to be! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing Britt. Can't wait to see what the hell we do this year :) Oh and I miss you still sooooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really adore that picture. What an year full of ups-and-downs you had, Brittan. Here's to nothing but good times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you said about B made me smile.
    and that picture is faaaaaab. Absolutely love it. Sort of Beatles-esque.

    (And this is to do with pictures from above posts of potential aussy? I think? If its the one I was looking at with your hand over his chest, then very cute. very very cute. and I wish I knew or recognized him..that would be to cool and weird]

    happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete