Tuesday, December 21, 2010

a very frank cancer update (I need to think of a nicer name for it...)

Sorry to post a downer, but I figured everyone would want to know the latest on my grandma's condition (or not read it if you don't/it's too upsetting):

She said my "case" was discussed with the oncology partners yesterday and the consensus was that they recommend beginning chemotherapy first.  This is because the spots of cancer left are small and scattered (according to the pathology report) and might be hard to target with radiation.  Chemo will probably kill most of them.  Then they can target what's left with radiation, followed by hormonal therapy.

So I will start Jan. 5th.  I go in the 4th for blood work, the 5th for chemo injection, and the 6th for a follow-up shot (I believe for side effects, but I haven't read all the literature yet and she told me so many things that I of course can't clearly remember it all - which is why she gave me a lot to read - but I digress...). I will lose all my hair, probably have nausea and diarrhea, and sores in my mouth.  The hair is a given.  The other things they have medication for.  I will go through this routine every 3 weeks, for a total of 4 courses (about 3 months altogether).  This will be followed by radiation, if still indicated (she seemed pretty sure it would be).  

I have to finish school. There's no way around that. I'm five months from a Masters degree. My mom is going to take them meals every week, and my grandma's husband can get B to school. I worry about how B will feel in all of this. Of course he's not the one going through it, but I do want his life to be as happy and uninterrupted as possible. The move to and from New York was hard enough. Anyway, we'll figure it out. We always do. The prayers and thoughts and energy and whatever else you're sending is still and always appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Brittan. Really, I am. Just know that my uncle had cancer (non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) twice, and it strong and healthy as ever now. Doctor's these days can and do work miracles. Just hang in there. Sending all my best to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that cancer happened to your grandma. She is such good people but I guess nothing is ever fair. I adore you my Britt. You're amazing and I can't wait to hug you and laugh and cry and love in enormous amounts to make up for the last three years. Love to you and grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read your blog in some time, but I am so sorry about your grandma. You and your family are in my thoughts. Take care of yourself, Jamie.

    ReplyDelete