Sunday, April 17, 2011

How to Succeed in Business

My friend Sam's family has the Broadway hookup. Last year when Daniel Radcliffe was announced as the lead in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, we all went in on tickets and Sam mom's hooked us up with awesome seats. The show was last weekend, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I loved it from the moment I saw the old school Broadway "name in lights" sign.
It was basically the same plot line as Promises, Promises, with the same over-the-top early 60s costumes and the same campy, misogynistic-but-self-aware humor (not surprisingly they also share a director, Rob Ashford). But the choreography was what made it stand out, for me. There were some truly unique, complex dance numbers that still managed to be engaging and fit the confines of the type of show it is. Radcliffe's energy went above and beyond. Honestly, I don't know how he manages to do this every night. It's pretty astounding. I was blown away by his enthusiasm as a singer and dancer, and it's clear that he's been training very hard. 
After the show the stage door was a madhouse. Crowds piled up on both sides of the street, cameras ready, screaming for Dan Rad. It was a most un-Broadway display. We hung out for a bit, marveling at the crowd and watching the other cast members slip out mostly unnoticed, then opted for a indulgent Italian dinner on Restaurant Row. I felt, briefly, like a tourist having the most exciting night of my New York vacation. Then I took the tiring ride home to my little room in my (seemingly) far away borough and went on with life. I guess nights like that are what make this city what it is

No comments:

Post a Comment