Sunday, April 17, 2011

I had this thought today

What if all I really care about is beauty? What if I just spent all of this money and energy on a degree to tell me that I just want to hold on to the things in life that are beautiful and save them from decay so that someday someone else will have the chance to look at them and find them beautiful? What if I am not the least bit interested in the politics behind it all or even the theory or the history or in reaching any lofty academic or career goals? I will spend the rest of my life trying to pay off the debt and justify my weird MA and all these sacrifices so that I can look at pretty things and feel something profound that escapes words or ideas. Aesthetics. Am I superficial and foolish or brilliant? I suppose it depends on how you define beauty and what it means to you. 

I feel so Oscar Wilde right now.

4 comments:

  1. A life spent appreciating beauty is a life worth living. Perhaps the only sort of life worth living. You're on the right track. Don't fret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. swinny (obviously)April 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM

    "I have always known what I wanted, and that was beauty––in every form."
    –Joan Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  3. pure brilliance, darling. although this is coming from someone that tries to take pretty pictures all day every day, i hope it's an opinion that you'll value. ;) feel lucky to be one of the few that can appreciate and focus on the beauty in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freakk I like this.

    Living for beauty. It sounds so right.

    ReplyDelete