Monday, April 4, 2011

Reclaiming Theatre Row: An Argument for Archival-Friendly Projection in the Cinema

I presented my thesis on Thursday!

I have this little "issue" with waking up in the morning and the presentation was supposed to start at 9:30 a.m., so I decided to get up extra early and have a nice breakfast in hopes of actually being awake at the podium. It was raining when Taso (who helped me so much in pulling the presentation together) and I walked from Union Square to Le Pain Quotidien, but the quiet meal of whole wheat bread, fresh fruit and a perfect soy latte set to soft classical piano music was just what I needed. 

I got to school in plenty of time to get set up and make some additional notes to myself before anyone got there. I think the presentation went fairly well overall, though it didn't start out that way. Just as I was introducing my topic, I was hit with one of those coughing fits that just won't quit. I realize now that I probably should have left the room, waited for it to pass and then started over, but instead I tried to muscle through it, taking little sips of water here and there until I was nearly crying. My kind audience bore with me until I was able to show a video clip, down a bottle of water and get back in the game. The rest of the presentation went well and my slides looked really good, if I do say so myself. I think the Q&A session (which I was most worried about) went over best of all, and everyone seemed engaged and interested in my project. I'm really proud of how it went and of my thesis in general. Mostly I'm so thankful for all of the people who support it and have helped me with it, and who deal with me as I sacrifice my brain to it. I haven't been very good at responding to letters and emails, making non-school deadlines or just being a very good friend or human being in general and I feel really bad about it. I used to be so good at multitasking, but this is whole new level of overtasked. Thank you for your patience.

Swinny presented her thesis the next day (on a Joan Crawford film that was shut down and nearly lost due to copyright infringement) and it went splendidly. Afterward we went out with our classmates and alumni to celebrate. The rest of our classmates had presented earlier in the week (roommate Sam was first on Monday, poor thing), so it was nice to finally see everyone looking slightly relaxed and smiling.

The final product is due on April 26th and I'd say I'm about halfway there. Back to work!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so incredibly proud of you! Seriously, every time I complain about the fact that I don't get to have a vacation, I work in the bit about "my best friend is presenting her thesis/getting her masters/living this bohemian fairytale in NYC"

    ReplyDelete