Friday, June 10, 2011

Tree of Life

I went to a midnight screening of Terrence Malick's Tree of Life with Taso and Clayton when it opened in New York. I've been trying to wrap words around the film, but the three of us weren't really even able to discuss it with each other. Are there words to accurately describe being profoundly moved by art? Not in my humble vocabulary.

What I can say is that it's very brave. It's terrifying and comforting and left me feeling vulnerable. I would call it a masterpiece for its ability to evoke those feelings alone, but it's also very beautiful and experimental. It plays with light well and masters point of view camera angles. It affected me as a parent and in some very personal ways as well. I can't wait to watch it again and on film this time. Have you seen it? Let's please discuss. 

1 comment:

  1. i have seen it and i feel like you did!

    i just saw your comment on kelsie's blog (on the sunny side) and got super excited. terence malick is my favorite director and we have been on the edge of our seats waiting to see this film. when it finally came to sacramento we rushed to see it and WE WERE BLOWN AWAY. i just saw your list of summer films and then searched through your blog to see your words.

    i have to go see it again. it left echoes and shards in my skin and heart. i understand what you mean about finding it difficult to wrap words around it. that feels stifling, and it is vast. i think that it might change everything.

    anyway i am glad to have found your adorable blog and will read more now!

    hope you are having a happy july day.

    ReplyDelete