Friday, June 24, 2011

twenty six

My birthday was Sunday. Juneteenth! I'm 26 now and it feels good. It fits, somehow, better than 25 did. 

I've always preferred even numbers.

B planned a little dinner for me, and the people I love took good care of me.

Taso gave me these perfect Betsey Johnson sunglasses. I'm not throwing around superlatives willy nilly here. These are everything I could ever want in sunglass: my favorite color, the exact right shape for my face, nice and dark, little heart details and BJ's name scrolled in hot pink.
I was totally satisfied but he had another surprise for me... Are you ready for this?

ALL 7 SEASONS OF SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE ON DVD.

I don't know if you're aware of how much I love this show. I have waxed poetic about it many times before on this blog, but the gist of it is: supports dance as a sport and an art form, gives dancers jobs, showcases amazing choreography, features real talent, DEBBIE freaking ALLEN. It is literally the only show on television that I care about and care I do.

Sadly (for everyone else), this show is not out on DVD. I just so happen to know a magician named Taso g. who "acquired" every episode ever, put them onto DVDs -- color coded by season -- and organized them in an archival safe box with a lock. Yep. I thanked him by immediately dragging him to the nearest TV to search through every season 5 disc till I found my favorite piece, Kayla and Kupono dancing Mia Michel's "Addiction." 
Chills. Every time. 

A couple days later my sister from another mister, Wendy, took B and I out to dinner and gave me a goody bag full of things that I love - clementine and coconut lotions, a book about the films of John Hughes (she always gives me great books), a cute car accessory (that will bring good karma to my car search), a gift certificate to get the sandals that I so badly need and this:
A reusable -- I like to think of it as permanent -- iced coffee cup filled with an iced grande soy chai. I have an addiction and she is enabling me. And I love her for it.

Then we got snocones and hers had sparkles and I was awed and slightly jealous.

B made me beautiful handmade art and a red velvet cake, and my mom gave me a Shabby Apple dress.

I was in a grumpy mood, as happens around this time every month, but it was nice. I feel very loved and very content to venture forward in years. My mind is more calm than it used to be, and my impulses more centered. I worked through so much in the last couple years and feel quite accomplished, despite my lack of employment at the moment. I am happy in my relationship and in parenthood, despite its many challenges. Nothing is perfect. I'm discouraged by not having found a job and being poor. I still let things make me grumpy that I shouldn't, but I'm getting better. I'm learning. I'm realizing and correcting (or apologizing for) my mistakes more quickly.

All we can hope for is progress and here I am, at 26, feeling as though I am progressing.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! What a great gift and a great man. I'm now on the odd numbers as of today and agree with you that the even ones are best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're remarkable. i feel so lucky to know you and to get to read your words here. to have seen you struggle and flourish--a real honor.

    happy birthday gorgeous lady. let it be your year!

    ReplyDelete