Friday, September 23, 2011

Downton Abbey

http://www.webtvwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/downton-abbey-logo.PNG 
I love a British period piece as much as the next gal, but usually they are reserved for those days when illness (or monthly affliction) has me resigned to my bed with a pint of Coconut Bliss feeling sorry for myself. 

That was before Downton Abbey. Have you watched? Do you love? I'm obsessed. There are only 7 episodes (until it returns in January) but they have been consuming my days! I love the characters, the drama, the castle they film in, the English...ness. THE CLOTHES! I love it. It follows the lives of an aristocratic family and their servants in the years just before WWI. The study of a crumbling class system and country on the verge of war are interesting, but I am particularly interested in the nuanced female characters. I'm so happy that in recent years even some period dramas have begun to deeper explore the lives and minds of women within their societal roles.

I can't wait for the second season. (How will they handle the war?!) The first is on Netflix (and I think rebroadcasting on PBS from time to time, especially now that it's won Emmys) and you should watch it. Maggie Smith's one-liners are reason alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment