Sunday, September 25, 2011

Soccer Season

It's that time of year again. We've been doing this since he was three and I always look forward to it. I particularly love the fields at practice time (dusk, my favorite time of day) in the fall. That first chill is in the air and the fields are quiet, the ringing of children's voices sounds distant thanks to the sprawl. There are hay bails on the other side of the fence. I spread out my blanket and lay in the grass to watch him practice. The other parents usually drop their kids off, but I love to watch or just read a book and enjoy the cooling day. I feel most mom-like during soccer season, and I enjoy that feeling. I've been in some sort of nesting phase lately, ready to build a little home, nurture and provide. To be a great mom. I fuss over things (the right water bottle to take to his soccer game, not steaming the vegetables for more than 10 minutes so they're extra nutritious) and yet am a lot more fun than I used to be (letting him drink a sugary non-coffee frappucino now and then, or buy an extra book at when we go to the book store). I enjoy the ritual of pulling on shin guards and tying cleats (and then promptly getting my foot stepped on). I'm relishing these things like I used to before everything went sour for me a few years ago, but I'm appreciative of them like I never have been before. Here are some pictures I took as the sun set at soccer practice the other night, when I was perfectly content and happy. Not missing New York or thinking about the job and house and family that I still don't have, just happy to be there in that moment being a mom.

1 comment:

  1. I love a good Texas sunset! :) Glad to hear you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete