Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 1 in NYC

Hi from New York!

Yesterday my early morning straight flight to New York turned into 4 hours of delays and plane changes before I even got out of Dallas and then more delays in the air (flying around in circles over the city you're supposed to land in is the WORST when you have an anxiety disorder). I arrived several hours late and my buddy Sneve picked me up so we could get Foodswings (vegetarian junk food), see my Swinny (hooray!) and go take care of my friend Danielle's cute pets (she's in Dallas - we traded cities for the weekend).

I took this upside down picture of me and Sneve in the car.

Moving on...

Finally, I got to head back to Manhattan where I found Taso at an Apple store (of course) for a discussion with one of our favorite filmmakers, Wes Anderson. I spied on him from upstairs till it was over and then we went to the 10th anniversary screening of THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS with Wes Anderson, Eric Anderson, Bill Murray, Angelica Houston and Gwenyth Paltrow in attendance. When I saw Bill Murray stand up in the audience and wave at the end, I totally lost my mind. I don't know why, but it was such a surreal moment seeing Bill Murray in person. Maybe because I love him so much, maybe because he just doesn't really seem like a real person. I was surprised -- although I don't know why -- to find the film resonated with me on a very different level than it did 10 years ago. Watching it as a grownup made it less frustrating and, in fact, a much more cathartic experience. Also, the colors are even more incredible on a film print on the big screen. I definitely didn't appreciate that 10 years ago. I guess you don't know what you have till it's practically gone. 

Can you find Taso in this picture?

The Q&A was amazing. Everyone spent a good amount of time talking about how much they hate Gene Hackman (who plays Royal Tenenbaum, in case you haven't seen it) and Bill Murray cracked everyone up the whole time. There was a fun bit of bickering between the moderaters, Antonio Monda and Noah Baumbach, and Wes Anderson, and Angelica Houston was as glamorous as you might imagine. Gwenyth Paltrow, despite her jegging situation and overabundance of "bling," was pretty charming and delightfully self-deprecating when it came to things like her role in IRON MAN and not-worthiness next to Mz. Houston.

I spent a little too long hanging around after oogling Bill Murray as he tried to make his way through a crowd of bumrushers (I was not one of them though), and then we drug our (really just my) weary bones back to Brooklyn to feed and walk the pets one more time. The next thing I remember is waking up this morning in bed in Manhattan.

1 comment:

  1. I am WAY behind on commenting, but this? AMAZING! I am so jealous! I would have loved to be there!!

    ReplyDelete