Monday, October 24, 2011

Radio and Juliet and saying goodbye

I've wanted to see Radio and Juliet for so long. It's Ballet Maribor's retelling of Romeo & Juliet set to the music of Radiohead and I just happened to be in town during its NYC premiere. Fate! The show was spellbinding and beautiful. Quiet, haunting and sad. I felt for the first time especially sad for Juliet's side of the tragedy. In this interpretation she was very alone and trapped in a male-driven world of violence and miscommunication... which is guess is how it is written, but was really effectively done through sparse staging and intricate, complicated movement. The dancers were exquisite, their bodies like finely tuned machines. I was choked up for a solid hour.

The rest of my trip was quiet. I stupidly relied on automatic bill pay through my bank (which I never do) and my biggest monthly payment ended up going through twice in the same week, so I was out of money and snapped back into reality a little earlier than I'd hoped. Taso and I played our board game, saw a Godard film at Film Forum and he treated me to a fancy dinner, but other than that we just hung out and enjoyed being penniless and in love in the city. I am back in Texas fighting being really sad. I won't let it happen. I am blessed, lucky, fulfilled and happy. Yes it's hard being poor and not having a job, and it's hard waiting another month until I see my best friend again. I'm overwhelmed with all the work I have to do that I'm not getting paid for. It's hard not having friends around or the excitement and challenge of the city, but if these are the things that I have to complain about... well, I really shouldn't be complaining at all. I have so much.

One night Taso and I went to Soho to visit Greg, a MoMA projectionist and dear friend, and his family. It was life-affirming visit. We are all troubled by the state of the world, and feel solidarity with those occupying Wall Street (they join them regularly and I would too if I still lived there). We all struggle but also recognize how much good is around us and feel gratitude for it. I want to be in love for the rest of my life and be good to the people around me. I want to stand up for the things I believe in and fight for the things I care about, even if they're just the format a film is projected on and supporting the work of unemployed artists.

I don't know, these are just some thoughts I left New York with. And now, two parting shots -- one taken by me and one taken by former #apt2b-mate Sam.
This is how I want to remember New York.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely.

    Radio and Juliet? That sounds like the best thing in the world right now. Have you heard about this?: http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/

    Also- I'm going to NYC for Christmas! Seems like a good idea since I can't be with my family or anything. Exploring the city by myself, I'm so stoked.

    ReplyDelete