Monday, November 28, 2011

A Thanksgiving I never saw coming.

Oh hey. My computer and I have kind of been on a break lately. Our relationship was becoming unhealthy and making me spend far too much time rolling around in the fetal position wishing all of the stressful emails from the industry listservs would go away and be replaced by job offers. I spent a week at the Association of Moving Image Archivists conference which I will blog about when... well, when I feel like it. Then Taso came home and there was just so much thanks to give. Let's talk about that one.

I didn't really take pictures this Thanksgiving. We spent a long weekend with Taso's family that included feasting, cuddling babies and a Dallas Stars game. I made two pumpkin pies from scratch and felt so grateful that I could pick a pumpkin and turn it into something that would feed and please the people I love. Who would have ever thought this girl would fall so in love with cooking that she would wake up early on Saturdays to get first pick at the farmer's market; that she would enjoy the process more than the final product? The more I cook the less I eat, too. Who'd have thought, I say?! Not me. I also made roasted seasonal vegetables and vegan gravy (recipe here - it's so good) that people (other than B and I) actually ate!

We announced our engagement to his family and were one upped by the announcement that his cousin is having twins! And the hugs and happiness multiplied so much so that there was more than enough to go around and around and around. Such happiness and so much more than I could have expected.

This year I just took in the little moments and the happy satisfaction that I'm settling into.
 
So that's it. Those are all my pictures from the last four blissful days. Everything else remains in my memory.

If you'd told me last year, when I was having an equally fantastic time NOT celebrating Thanksgiving but living it up in Toronto with my dear friend Charlotte, that this Thanksgiving would be full of family, Taso and happiness, I would have been utterly confused. I was so settled in my solitary Brooklyn life. I had almost forgotten what it was like to be attached to people. I had forgotten about shopping at Target and the suburban sprawl that makes me so uncomfortable (still). I felt so very alive. I loved my heavy tights, thick scarves, well worn winter boots and the (relative) ease of my Metrocard. When I think of sitting in underground tea rooms and walking everywhere and my little room with hardwood floors and my wholeness as an independent person, I feel something of a longing in my gut. But -- let me tell you -- a season for everything and everything in its place.

This year I felt truly thankful for those days and for these and for the ways that life sneaks up on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment