Saturday, December 17, 2011

Radvent Day 17: Music

I love this one! 

First, let's talk Christmas music because I'm a sap and that's all I'm listening to right now. You only get to listen to it for about a month once a year, so I shamelessly indulge. Every year just after Thanksgiving I put on Hanson's Snowed In to welcome the season. It's a tried and true way to get in the Christmas spirit. Never fails to make me feel joyful and festive!
Besides Hanson, my favorite Christmas music is either a.) timeless or b.) classical/choral. I love listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and The 99 Most Essential Christmas Masterpieces. I love Bing and Bowie.

This year I've been listening to Hey, It's Christmas, and She & Him and Michael Buble's new Christmas albums, but my favorite new Christmas album this year is Deer Child's. Here's a sample, but really for 5 bucks, the whole album is more than worth the download.

Christmas aside, I've started working on our reception playlist. I haven't really jumped into wedding planning yet, as we still have plenty of time and details to work out, but one thing I can do is plan the soundtrack for the day. For me, it's one of the most important parts. I want to balance our favorite music with danceability, accessibility (something for everyone) and overall mood. Early in the night the music will be polite background music, and we'll kick it into dance party mode later. As much as I love Hanson, I'll try to limit myself to a couple of their songs, so as not to alienate my guests, wedding party and groom.

Musically, we're meant for each other (Hanson aside). We love the same types of music (the Pixies, Sonic Youth and the Magnetic Fields are my favorite bands, he loves Interpol, we both love hip hop - to give you an idea) and we go to shows together all the time, so it should be pretty easy to agree on a playlist. I'll let him have his guilty pleasure, Ellie Goulding's "Lights" - which I hate - if he'll let me have Beyonce's "Love On Top" but that's as cheesy as I'm getting. I think having a DJ is easier and cheaper than a band, so it works for me. That said, I'm requesting suggestions. Please let me know what you'd want to hear at a wedding, or if you think this whole plan is terrible. I have no idea what I'm doing and welcome advice and input!

1 comment:

  1. Still Fly by Big Tymers? I vote that for your "entrance" song =)

    For dance-ability + crowd pleasing there should be plenty o' Motown.

    ReplyDelete