Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Radvent Day 20: Mentoring

Okay, I'm back in the game. This one is great! (Side note: I love not finding out what the topic is until the day it goes up. I makes me think on my feet and write something relevant to what's going on right now. It's also funny how they sometimes correlate with what I'm thinking or doing that day.)

I like this as a follow up to the last one. During transitional phases in my life, I find that it's far more productive (though much harder) to think about who I want to be than about figuring out my identity right now.

At one time I really wanted to be a cinematographer, so I asked a working Director of Photography and Professor of Cinematography to share his knowledge with me. It never hurts to ask, right? He accepted because I was interested in shooting on film, something he tried to instill in his digital-photography-minded students to no avail. He taught me how to use a camera, pull focus, load a magazine and work in a darkroom. In a short period of time I got to assist on everything from corporate videos for the Nurses Union to full-length feature films. I got to work with an Arriflex, shooting 35mm. Within three years of that experience, that camera is already something of a relic. I abandoned the desire for a full-fledged career in film production, but the things he taught me (free of charge, out of the kindness of his heart and passion for film) have been endlessly useful to me in my other pursuits, and were the foundation for the things I'm interested in now.

I HAVE to write him a thank you card right now.

Who do I want to learn from now?

Entrepreneurs/Non-profit gurus: Princess Laserton, Melina McKinnon

Filmmaker: James M. Johnston

Theater operators: crew of the Belcourt and crew of the State 

I'm always watching. Following tweets, reading blog posts, listening intently at lunch dates, asking questions when I get the chance to meet someone new, checking out programming, studying marketing material and business plans, watching and dissecting films. I love to learn. My problem lies in taking the next step. The second I send off the work I've done to ask for feedback my heart sinks. Suddenly I am acutely aware of how lacking my work is. I need to get braver about asking questions of people I admire and seeking guidance. I think people enjoy mentoring rather than finding it a bother. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Whitney Johnson and Bob Moesta’s equation and approach to mentoring.

    ReplyDelete