Saturday, December 24, 2011

Radvent Day 24: Magic

Happy Christmas Eve! 

When I was little, it wasn't Santa Claus that I obsessed over every Christmas. It was snow. I dreamed with all my little heart about having a white Christmas and every year I would close my eyes on Christmas Eve and pray that I would wake up to a blanket of white outside my window. To me, that seemed magical. Of course it never happened. I live in Texas. Often it was 70 degrees on Christmas morning. But that didn't stop me from wishing. In my mind, the picture-perfect Christmas is snowy and filled with family, friends, music, food and activities. The best memories are made when you're doing more than just opening presents and sitting around. I love making Christmas special, and I hope I get better at it as I get older. Taso and I were talking about how New York in November feels more Christmasy than Christmas day in Texas, and I've been thinking about what I can do to bring the Christmas spirit down here next year. Just once I would like to have that perfect cinematic, holiday card-esque, white Christmas.

This Christmas didn't bring snow, but it did bring a little magic by way of putting so many of my favorite people in one place. Christmas Eve was spent, as it is every year, with the Jones family and all of my old friends who meet at their house every December 24th. Taso got to meet the people I've been friends with since I was a kid, and experience our loud, competitive game playing. There were fewer people than normal, as this has been a rough year for the Jones family, and Mr. and Mrs. are both coping with health problems, but they still opened up their home (and their kitchen) to us. I brought my traditional Christmas Even tamales and B was on his best behavior. The ladies by far dominated at game playing, as evidenced by our celebrating:
Kelsey, Sabrina, Emily and Laura. Emily and I were friends since about age four, the other three were always the "little sisters" of our group of friends, their older siblings being closer to us in age, but not by much. Now we're grown up women with degrees who have lived in China and been married, but who still act like children when we're all together.

There was another magical moment when an old friend of ours from high school stopped by and recognized Taso. They were neighbors and friends when he was little, before he moved to Greece! It was crazy putting together the puzzle pieces of our connections to each other, and realizing what a small, interconnected world it is.

After a long night of fun, B was out before we had a chance to leave cookies for Santa. Not that my skeptical child has really ever believed in Santa. The older he gets, the more I realize how like me he really is. But that doesn't mean I can't make a little magic for him. This year Santa left HIM cookies and a note, and meticulously trimmed the tree with presents and a new guitar before passing out herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment