Sunday, December 25, 2011

Radvent Day 25: Becoming

This is my last Radvent. 

I think I did okay. I started a demanding temp job (no, really) halfway through the month, which slowed down my posting a little bit. I wasn't able to get to my computer until late at night, and at that point was so tired that sometimes the thoughts came slowly. Often I would start the post that night and then edit, find pictures and publish it later. But I tried to not get too far behind and now I've made it to my final day. This has been a great personal experience for me, documenting my thoughts right now at the end of 2011.

I've been sorting through my experiences trying to think of one that "changed my trajectory forever." There's having B of course, the car accident he and I miraculously survived, the first time I watched Vagabond and the first time I went to a show at Trees as a young teenager, and saw the stage that Kurt Cobain made famous. If we're talking about events that literally uprooted me from my current path and set me off on a new one, those all fit. More recently, there's that Halloween that I met my best friends, The Darjeeling Limited first date, moving to New York, a summer in Hawaii, going to the TCM Film Festival with Swinny and that time at the MoMA archives when I saw a piece of a 1905 Biograph film print. There are lots of other little moments in between that pushed me toward and away from certain people, places, choices and interests, but the thing that strikes me is that all of these experiences were a little like falling in love (sometimes, but often not, literally). These are the things I should be focused on, the things that I love and am passionate about. If I got nothing else out of these posts, I hope I've gained a greater sense of focus on the things that drive me, that set me on the path I'm on and that make me excited to wake up every day.

My goals for the coming year are:

1. Work on more creative and professional projects with my friends.
2. Start the theater restoration process.
3. Get married.
4. Meet Agnes Varda.
5. Get settled in a little house and plant a garden.
6. Host a projection training workshop.
7. Start a book club.
8. Be financially independent.
9. Find a way to go to TCMFF '12.
10. Give B the best birthday party of his life.

With any luck, by next year I'll be able to say I crossed these off and I'll have new goals and a fresh perspective on where I am, where I'm going and what I have to offer the world.

1 comment:

  1. Meet Agnes Varda?? I would give my legs to do that.

    I replied to your post on my blog but basically said that YES I'll be in Utah then. I'll actually be working at the sundance film fest if you're gonna be there?

    ReplyDelete