Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hi from Utah!

My love dropped me off at the airport long before the sun was up and I was off to Salt Lake City. When I landed, the valley was being dusted with a blanket of snow - the kind with big flakes you can see even after they've landed. The kind that makes it almost impossible to drive. True story: Missy was on her way to pick me up from the airport when she hit a patch of it and spun out across the highway. Don't worry - she's okay! - luckily she was driving slow enough to only cause mild cosmetic damage to her car and slightly less mild emotional trauma. 

Feeling pretty useless that I couldn't do anything to help, I hopped a cab to Vertical Diner to wait for her. The staff was so friendly, running out to help me bring my bags in out of the snow and fixing me up with a warm drink and a spot at the warmest booth. I ate like a king (who had woken up at 4 a.m. and flown through three different cities on one of her least favorite airlines and was starving and cold) - a huge late breakfast of biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns, tofu scramble and sausage - all vegan, all so very, very delicious. 

Missy met me there and took me to a chiropractor appointment that she'd booked for me when I called her day before yesterday in a TMJ-induced migraine stupor (because she's the best). I know this recounting of my day is getting very boring, but I feel the need to mention this because... omg. I don't even know how long I've been miserable for. So long that I didn't even know I was miserable, it had just become the norm. The daily headaches, stiff neck, blurred vision and sleepiness were erased with one adjustment and some brief deep tissue work. I feel like a new person! The rest of our day was spent meeting up with friends we hadn't seen in years and having our customary Chinese food/sitcom dinner ritual. I think I've probably told her a thousand times in the last five hours how happy I am that I have use of my jaw and am headache free. It's been a good day.

So why am I in Salt Lake, you ask? I'm speaking on a panel at the Sundance Art House Convergence! I'll be talking about my thesis and the future of celluloid film projection. The rest of the time I'll be hanging out with my friends James and Amy and learning all I can about how to restore and run a movie theater, then hopefully I'll catch a couple movies at Sundance and get one thousand job offers. For now, I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment