Wednesday, January 25, 2012

State of the Union

I am working on a post about Sundance, but let me just take a moment to say how nice it was to hear our President demand fairness last night. I grew up always hearing that life isn't fair and, while I accepted that, a voice in the back of my mind asked every time, "But what if it could be?" Yeah, I'm an idealist, but I just loved hearing our President stand up for what's right and fair. 

"We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by. Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share and everyone plays by the same set of rules."
It was inspiring to hear him talk about clean energy, bringing home troops and redistributing war money, race/class/gender/sexuality equality within our troops, equal pay for equal work, keeping kids in school and sending them to college (not to mention throwing a bone to those of us with a jillion dollars in student loan debt), common sense fair taxes and more. Maybe he can't accomplish everything he preaches, but at least he's talking about the right things. It's a breath of fresh air through the current political climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment