Tuesday, March 20, 2012

B's Big Surprise

My boy turns 10 tomorrow. TEN! I can't even.

He deserved the best party ever this year for so many reasons, and I thought long and hard about how to make that happen. Obviously it had to be a surprise because those are just more fun, and why not couple it with one of his favorite things in the whole world? Since he was a baby (I swear!) he's had a thing for airplanes, his favorite being WWII fighter planes and bombers, specifically the P51 Mustang. He did a huge research project and presentation on it in third grade, and has every book, video game and movie we've found on the subject. I did a little detective work and found out that there would be a real P51 Mustang at the Frontiers of Flight Museum this past weekend, and the Best Birthday Party Ever was born.

Taso created an elaborate story that totally had him fooled, while I planned, shopped, decorated and set up. My friend Sabrina of SAB Cakes made delicious cupcakes for everyone, and I stuck those 10 candles in a big apple pie, B's favorite! Everyone played along with the big surprise like champs (although, sadly, I never convinced them to dress in '40s attire) and the whole thing went off without a hitch.

There were lots of veterans on hand to tell us all about the P51 (and keep me company while I set up)! I think they got a kick out of Taso's big ruse. I know B did! 
 He was SO surprised and embarrassed. Look at those red cheeks!
He kept saying over and over that this was the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
And then it finally happened... He met Betty Jane. I think I saw a tear in his eye.
 
 She was really loud.
 After watching the P51 take off and fly around, he got to tour the other WWII bombers that were there.
 Taso checked them out too.

 Taso's cousin David gave him a model P51 and it now sits on his nightstand next to him while he sleeps. The party was officially a success, and I don't think there's any doubt that 10 will be his best year.

The celebration isn't over yet. Sunday morning we went to Spiral Diner to have their endless vegan pancakes, and it's like they knew it was his birthday - the pancake flavor of the day was Apple!


Wednesday is the actual big day and I have even more plans up my sleeve! My boy has been a real trooper the last few years, so it's great to show him how valued he is and see him so stoked on life.

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful mother! What a party, he is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete