Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Currently Reading/Watching/Listening

I've recently been invited into an elite group -- the Index skateboarder wives inner circle. They're cool. They brunch. They have a book club. I desperately miss having a social life since I moved back to TX, so this is very exciting for me. I don't know if I'm actually "in" or not yet, but when they invited me to join the books-to-movie club, I didn't take it lightly. This month they're reading The Hunger Games and, though I was told they don't really even talk about the books anymore, I decided to not take any chances. Despite my rabid Potter fandom, I generally avoid YA novels. I'll take great writing over a good story 9 times out of 10, and there are just so many books out there, ya know? But I picked up The Hunger Games and read it over the weekend and really enjoyed it! You probably know it's a very similar story to Battle Royale, which is one of the coolest movies ever, but where it differs is where I found it most interesting. [MINI SPOILER ALERT] The coolest part of HG to me is the post-apocalyptic world it's set in, how the government rebuilt itself and how people who are not very far removed from us are coping. I was in the middle of reading Dante's Inferno when I picked up HG, so my mind was already in an awesomely dark, twisted, imaginative place, which made for a really good read. I'm thinking of reading the next book in the series but am a little concerned that it's going to veer into a Twilight-esque love triangle and I haaaate that. What do you think? Should I read Catching Fire?

Taso and I have been journaling our movie watching on Letterboxd, and I'm hooked. I like being able to see everything I've watched this year and remember what I thought of each film. This weekend we had a date night of Jeff, Who Lives at Home and 21 Jump Street. Honestly, Jeff is my favorite movie I've seen in the theater so far this year (I've watched a lot at home, but still). It was so much more than I was expecting. Funny, touching and has stuck with me. The Duplass brothers are becoming a force to be reckoned with, and this is their best. The performances are all wonderful, but I think this is the best Jason Segel has been, and Susan Sarandon is heartbreaking and refreshing at the same time. The whole movie centers around the name Kevin, which is totally weird because we originally went to see We Need To Talk About Kevin, but it was sold out. Sometimes the universe knows what you need, even if it's just a spectacular date night. 21 Jump Street was worlds funnier than I expected it to be. I don't think I've seen chemistry like what's between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum... ever? It's crazy how good they are together. We cracked up the whole time, dick jokes and all (not usually my thing, let's be honest), and I loved the cameos. Even in its most overdone, ridiculous (and probably offensive) moments, I dug it.

Finally, this is my favorite song right now. The whole album is great -- best of the year so far -- but this is my anthem. I listen to it every day. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Keep reading! There is a love triangle, but it is never the focus of the books. They're about power and rebellion, and most especially the costs of war - Katniss and her relationships with Peeta and Gale are tied in with that. Like, the love triangle serves to further illustrate Collins' themes and Katniss' internal struggles.

    XO
    Sam

    p.s. TEAM PEETA WHAT WHAT

    ReplyDelete