Friday, April 6, 2012

Sweet Date Night: "I am an old person." Edition

Last weekend (yeah, I'm really late -- it's been a busy week) I had brunch with the skateboarder wives while Taso was on soccer game duty, and when I got home he whisked me off for a surprise date! I love surprises, and I could tell by how tight-lipped he was that this was going to be a good one. 

It didn't even click till we were walking up to the building and I saw the crowds of retirees that he was taking me to a 1940s music revue! Taso and I are known for being the youngest people at any given event. I mean, when he proposed to me we were at a matinee of a Clara Bow movie from 1933. Sometimes I border on actually believing that I am 100 years old. I've always been drawn to things from another time, nostalgic for things I didn't experience. Taso gets this about me, and has a penchant for old cinema himself, so he sits through things like this and sometimes walks around the house singing Andrews Sisters songs to himself and I pat myself on the back/fall more in love.

We weren't messing around this time. At this particular 1940s music revue matinee, we were literally the ONLY people within thirty years (at least) of our age group and, you know what? It. Was. Awesome. The band played their way chronologically from 1939 - 1948 and a group of singer/dancers (though I really wasn't too impressed with their dancing) performed all of my favorite songs from that period -- including an entire Andrews Sisters medley. I don't tend to be very moved by patriotic things, but I cried when the veterans were asked to stand during their military songs. Their wives looked so proud! We went and bought Taso the Apple TV he's been dying for (see, we're not all old) and had a leisurely patio dinner afterward. I was having so much fun, I didn't take many pictures. The band warming up, a little reminder of New York City hanging in a gallery space, the pretty tree we parked next to, Taso deciding which tacos to order -- the dumb little things that remind me how sweet life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment