Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Dress

I knew from the beginning that I wanted my grandma to make my wedding dress. I think I've known that on some level forever -- like there was never another option -- but never really thought about it. When it came up, the obvious answer was to design it myself and have her make it. The end result is exactly what my first sketches detailed. We went through four different versions of a mockup dress and two different bodices on the final dress before it was done, but my grandma's work was flawless. Stunning. The dress was perfect for me. 

Almost there:


I wanted the cut to be Grecian influenced (maybe I went a little far here, but I loved it), the fabric to be so light and flowy it felt like clouds, and my arms to be virtually invisible. I had to compromise on the last one, but I was still so happy with it. My grandma is a genius. 

In the end I found The Perfect Belt and Missy, my ultimate worst shopping influence, convinced me that I needed to spend an ungodly amount of money on a beautiful cardigan to wear at the reception. (She was right. I was SO happy to have it.) I'll post a good shot of the final product when I have all the pictures, but for now here it is... all wrinkled, worn and wind blown at the end of the night:

4 comments:

  1. You look stunning! It's a beautiful dress and you are so beautiful here. I just wish I'd been able to make the trip to celebrate with you in person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. I love the ol' timey feel. Seems very greek/ or even like early 1910's ladies

    ReplyDelete