Monday, May 13, 2013

Hogwarts First Years Party!

 Remember when the owl brought B's Hogwarts letter? The day finally came for our house to turn into the School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. Sabrina helped me bake all day and my grandma made these awesome house flags that are now hanging in B's room. The front door was transformed into Platform 9 3/4. 

Our house is small so we just had a few family members and friends over. Since Jaren was in town, B opted to invite only his other closest friend, Tanner, instead of a big group. It was exactly what he wanted. There was Hagrid's cake, super authentic Butter Beer, lots of food, and Quidditch Pong (which Sabrina and I enjoyed but was largely under appreciated by everyone else). The three boys had a sleepover and stayed up way too late chatting. It was determined that B is in Ravenclaw and Jare is in Gryffindor. B's now reading the Harry Potter series again (for the 4th time, I think?), which I discouraged at first (there are so many other books out there!), but I think it's helping him prepare for moving on to middle school. In some ways, the party felt a little like that too. The last "kid" party, a chance to talk about memories and upcoming adventures, the first sleepover party.

It was a great time. Even Nonny was wiped out by the end of it.


FYI --
Cake recipe: Fat Pants Cake from the Baby Cakes cookbook (thanks, Sam!)
Butter Beer recipe: Here (it was complicated but awesome.)

1 comment:

  1. What an adorably fun party! You're such a creative mama! And man oh man, I really love me some HP.

    ReplyDelete